Are you ready to take your therapeutic massage practice to the next level? If yes, then Cat Matlock is ready to help you.
Cat has been teaching continuing education for massage therapists and bodyworkers since 2008. Having taught many weekend CE courses, she often felt there wasn’t enough time in these short courses to fully get into the anatomy or for students to practice the techniques enough so that they could leave feeling completely confident in what they had learned. Cat has been asked many times over the years for longer, more in-depth trainings, with more anatomy, more palpation skills, more time to be able to feel solid in the various techniques that she teaches. Trigger Point Therapy is a highly specific form of bodywork that takes a little bit of time to understand, to develop palpation skills for point location, and to develop the sensitivity to feel the tissue release and change in your hands- a GREAT feeling you do not want to miss!
With all of that in mind, Cat has created a series of longer trainings of effective massage work for key areas of the body. Yay!
In each of the trainings, here is what you will learn:
- The Structures: muscles, bones, and nerves in the area
- How the tissues work together to create movement
- Structural variation in ROM
- Places it is safe to go deeply and places it is not
- Palpation of bony landmarks and muscles
- Tensional systems, opposing muscles groups, how things work together and what happens when they get into dysfunction
- Where to start your work to be the most effective
Key understanding of the nervous system
- How chronic stress affects the tissues and can lead to pain
- Simple breathing techniques to assist your clients into the parasympathetic state
- Muscle memory, tension, and proprioception
- Why deep work is often not necessary or helpful and how to know when it is appropriate
- Why your clients’ old injuries come back time and time again, and how to change things so they don’t
Trigger Point Therapy
- What a trigger point is
- Where trigger points tend to develop in the tissues
- How to locate and effectively release the points
- Pain/ sensation referrals of the points, what your clients will say if they have trigger points in a muscle
- What causes trigger points to develop in each area; posture, injury, stress, etc.
- Ridiculously good soothing techniques
- How to work well using your body weight
- Table height and what is best for you work
- Forget the warrior pose! A better position which allows greater movement and ease
- Using your elbows, forearms, and tools to protect your thumbs, fingers, and wrists
These trainings will be taught with various learning styles in mind. Classes will include powerpoint presentations, experiential anatomy, finding the trigger points on your own body using balls and foam rollers, and practicing on each other. There will be some online componets with recorded powerpoint presentations. You will have access to a video library of the muscles covered in each trainings. Each student will be required to work a one day Community Clinic during which you will do four sessions of bodywork to help you hone your skills. There will be quizzes and a final exam which you must pass to receive your certification.
Here are the Advanced Trainings with Cat Matlock for 2019 / 2020
Freeing the Neck & Head
September 17 – October 22, 2019
Tuesdays fro 10am – 2pm
CE Hours: 28
You will finish this 6 week in-depth Advanced Training with Cat Matlock feeling confident working deeply in the neck where appropriate, avoiding structures that shouldn’t be messed with, and releasing chronic tension that causes headaches and some migraines, ear ringing, dizziness, concussion symptoms, jaw tension, sinus pressure, and more. This training will give you the tools, skills, and knowledge to perform the most amazing neck work your clients have ever experienced.
The muscles covered in this class will include: Sterno-cleido-mastoid, Scalenes, Splenius and Semi-spinalis muscles, Trapezius, Levator Scapulae. If the class moves well, we will bonus with some jaw work.
**This Advanced Training course includes a Community Clinic weekend which is mandatory for all participants. The clinic will be held November 2nd and 3rd, 2019.
Freeing the Shoulders and Rotator Cuff
January 14 – February 18, 2020
Tuesdays 10am – 2pm
CE Hours: 28
Upon completion of this training you will be well prepared to to address various shoulder problems such as bursitus, rotator cuff injury and rehabilitation, pain in the shoulders and arms, some numbness and tingling down the arms and hands, rounded shoulders, deep aching in the wrist that forearm work doesn’t help, inability to raise the arms out to the side or overhead, and more. If you have cleints with shoulder issues and you do not know how to release the pecs, lats, and teres major well, you will not be able to help them really change their pain for any length of time. I want to teach you how to do that so your shoulder work is successful!
Muscles covered: Pectoralis Major and Minor, Subclavius, Trapezius, Levator Scapulae, Latissimus Dorsi, Teres Major and Teres Minor, Suprasinatus, Infraspinatus, Subscapularis, Upper Erectors, Rhomboids, Deltoid
**This Advanced Training course includes a Community Clinic weekend which is mandatory for all participants. The clinic will be held February 15th and 16th 2020
Advanced Training: Pelvis, Hips, & Low Back Immersion
April 14 – June 2, 2020
Tuesdays 10am – 2pm
CE Hours: 36
Students who complete this training will feel adept at addressing the major muscle groups covered and their tensional imbalances which create low back pain, hip pain, sciatica like symptoms, hip weakness, knee problems, pelvic pain, groin pain, SI joint dysfunction, sacral pain, hamstring pain, deep ache in the glutes, tilted or tucked pelvis, leg length inequality, disc issues, scoliosis, hip flexor problems, and more.If you can help the pelvis to rest more in the center of the body, and the spine to follow, you can significantly reduce the pain your clients experience in these areas.
Muscles covered: Psoas, Iliacus, Quadratus Lumborum, Rectus Abdominis, Obliques, Erector Spinae, Quadriceps, Hamstrings, Tensor Fascia Latae, Sartorius, Hip Adductors, Hip Abductors, Glutes
**This Advanced Training course includes a Community Clinic weekend which is mandatory for all participants. The clinic will be held May 30th and 31st 2020.